Organisation name: Uncomfortable Oxford
Location of placement: Most of the placement can be done remotely with occasional visits to Oxford and/or Cambridge
Duration: 6 months (part time)
Start Date: The placement will ideally start in mid-March 2023.
Deadline for Expressions of Interest: To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and a short letter detailing your interest in this opportunity, by noon on Monday 13 February 2023.
Uncomfortable Oxford strives to provide accessible teaching materials, and work with local state schools, education charities and access programmes to co-create learning activities informed by a critical understanding of history, its intersection with contemporary debates, and its display in urban contexts.
Through this placement, the Community Education Officer will build on the previous Officer’s work, in particular through:
- The development of teaching plans and worksheets, based on original resources already published on the organisation’s educational website (articles, podcasts, etc.) The aim is to create sets of activities which can be offered systematically to partner schools and programmes.
- The strengthening of existing relations with local state schools while extending collaborations with a wider network. This will also entail running consultation meetings to better understand the current needs and constraints through which teachers operate, in particular debates pertaining to the national curriculum.
- The development of relationships with established educational charities to disseminate the resources hosted on the organisation’s website, and raise awareness of the free use of these resources for teaching activities.
- Consultation with community groups to inquire about how we can support and highlight their own resources and their incorporation into local history teaching projects.
- With an internal team member, the development of short workshops that could be offered, without further work from the instructor, as an outreach activity to local schools
- The management, edition, and update of the organisation’s new Education website with new resources and content (with a view towards interface accessibility), in collaboration with the Blog Editor.
- The representation of the organisation at occasional Public Engagement with Research events or conferences.
This placement seeks a passionate and motivated individual with a good knowledge of the British secondary school system. Interest or experience in access programmes is a plus.
The placement would ideally be someone based in Oxford, but we also welcome applicants from Cambridge and the Open University, as we seek to widen access to our resources and diversify our content to include other cities in the UK.
Skills, knowledge or experience needed
The successful applicant will show good organisation skills and the ability to work independently while referring to the wider activities of Uncomfortable Oxford and Uncomfortable Cambridge. Further, the applicant will be introduced to the wider activities, projects, and ethos of the organisation, and will be able to integrate them better with the Education Programme.
While working with outside schools, charities, and programmes, the coordinator will act as a representative of the organisation.
To apply, please email email@example.com with a CV and a short letter detailing your interest in this opportunity, by noon on Monday 13 February 2023.