Full award, fees-only, full-time and part-time OOC DTP award holders are eligible to apply.
Funds are limited, so the DTP may not be able to fully fund your request; all applicants must investigate what other funding is available to them and apply accordingly.
- The DTP would not normally expect a student to receive funding for more than one overseas study visit, or to receive funding to present at more than one overseas conference and one UK conference during the course of their award.
- The amount available to any one student over the course of their studentship will not normally exceed £2,000.
- Activities that take place before a student's award has commenced, or after the end of their period of studentship funding.
- Study visits in the last three months of an award.
- Costs associated with training and professional development.
- Costs incurred as a result of working with an external partner, whether a CDA partner or a partner hosting a placement.
- Meals during a study visit or overseas conference (students are expected to use their maintenance grant to cover this).
- First class travel.
- Visits to countries or areas where the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises against travel or all but essential travel.
- Payments for membership of professional bodies or similar.
Applications for support towards research-related expenses should be made using the Additional Funding Application Form.
- Complete the form in discussion with your supervisor(s) and in reference to your doctoral research project
- Ensure that your primary supervisor completes the Supervisor Statement section
- Include evidence of costs
- Submit as soon as possible ahead of one of the four annual deadlines, and normally at least 4 weeks ahead of the proposed activity or expenditure
- Retrospective approval will not normally be granted
- Submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for additional funding will be reviewed as a gathered field by the Training and Development Group four times a year. Outcomes will normally be communicated four weeks later. The next deadlines are:
- Monday 7 September 2020
- Monday 7 December 2020
- Monday 8 March 2021
- Monday 7 June 2021
- Applications will be considered only in cases where your supervisor certifies that your study visit, conference presentation or other research-related expenses is essential to your research/academic development.
- Once your application has been assessed by the Training Development Group (TDG), you will be notified of the decision. If you are successful in gaining funding the DTP will communicate this to you, and detail the amount you have been awarded. Funding is not guaranteed and the TDG's decision is final.
- Payment will be based on the budgeting provided in your application, so you should endeavour to be as accurate as possible when making your application.
- Before, during, and after your trip or activity you should keep all related receipts, invoices and other financial evidence. If receipts are for any reason unavailable, you should keep a written record of expenditure, including date, purpose and amount.
- If you cut your travel or activity short or if the travel or activity is cancelled, you must inform the OOC DTP so that we can recalculate your entitlement.
- You should adhere to any and all requirements made by your local Department/Faculty/School regarding risk assessment and insurance for your trip or activity. Please contact the relevant local administrators for more information in the first instance.
- Payment of awarded sums will be managed according to local processes, and will be detailed on award.