This fund is for needs-based training that is specific to an individual student and their doctoral research.
You are expected to complete a Training Needs Analysis and discuss it with your supervisor to help identify your specific training and development needs.
You are encouraged to consider your application for funding as early as is possible once a training need has been identified, and to discuss this with your supervisor and the DTP team.
Eligible costs could include, but are not limited to, course fees, overseas travel expenses if required, costs associated with fieldwork.
Full award, fees-only, full-time and part-time OOC DTP award holders are eligible to apply.
Funds are limited, so the DTP may not be able to fully fund your request; all applicants must investigate what other funding is available to them and apply accordingly.
- Training and researcher development activity that is already offered to doctoral students by the DTP or by your home institution.
- Activities that take place before a student's award has commenced, or after the end of their period of studentship funding.
- Fieldwork costs where it is being undertaken principally for primary research rather than for researcher development through practice.
- First class travel.
Applications for support towards costs associated with individual skills training should be made using the Additional Funding Application Form.
- Complete the form in discussion with your supervisor(s), and in reference to you Training Needs Analysis;
- Ensure that your primary supervisor completes the Supervisor Statement section
- Include evidence of costs
- Submit as soon as possible ahead of one of the four annual deadlines, and normally at least 4 weeks ahead of the proposed activity or expenditure
- Retrospective approval will not normally be granted
- Submit by email to email@example.com
Applications for additional funding will be reviewed as a gathered field by the Training and Development Group four times a year. Outcomes will normally be communicated four weeks later. The next deadlines are:
- Monday 7 September 2020
- Monday 7 December 2020
- Monday 8 March 2021
- Monday 7 June 2021
- Applications will be considered only in cases where your supervisor certifies that your skills training or other researcher development expenses are essential to your research/academic development.
- Once your application has been assessed by the Training Development Group (TDG), you will be notified of the decision. If you are successful in gaining funding the DTP will communicate this to you, and detail the amount you have been awarded. Funding is not guaranteed and the TDG's decision is final.
- Payment will be based on the budgeting provided in your application, so you should endeavour to be as accurate as possible when making your application.
- Before, during, and after your trip or training you should keep all related receipts, invoices and other financial evidence. If receipts are for any reason unavailable, you should keep a written record of expenditure, including date, purpose and amount.
- If you cut your travel or training short or if the travel or training is cancelled, you must inform the OOC DTP so that we can recalculate your entitlement.
- You should adhere to any and all requirements made by your local Department/Faculty/School regarding risk assessment and insurance for your trip or training. Please contact the relevant local administrators for more information in the first instance.
- Payment of awarded sums will be managed according to local processes, and will be detailed on award.