Whilst you are free to apply for admission to study at any (or all three) of the Open-Oxford-Cambridge AHRC DTP consortium institutions, you must decide in advance to which one you would like to apply for AHRC funding. Please follow the funding application procedure of the chosen institution.

From 2019-20, the AHRC will fund ten doctoral training partnerships (a list of these partnerships is available on the AHRC website). You may choose to apply for funding to several of these doctoral training partnerships (DTPs).  If you are offered an AHRC studentship by more than one DTP, you must choose which one to accept and are asked to decline the other offer(s).

Each application is judged on its own merits.

Your AHRC application will be assessed by your department/faculty. Departments will rank applications received and nominate the top candidates for funding. Each consortium member will then nominate its top 80 candidates for the consortium-level competition. Four consortium-level selection panels will review all nominated applications. The OOC DTP Management Board will finalise the allocation of studentships.

Yes, each university can nominate up to 80 applications for consideration at consortium-level.

The government has announced that EU nationals will remain eligible for research council studentships for the 2019/20 academic year on the same basis as is available at present (02 July 2018).

EU students ordinarily resident in the EU /EEA are eligible for a "fees-only" award (university fees).

Full time doctoral students who commenced their first year of study in October 2018 are eligible to apply.

Please see the application processes under the ‘How to apply’ section.


If your application for DTP funding is successful, you will receive an offer letter from the OOC DTP from April 2019. Further offers will be made as reserve places become available.

Due to the volume of applications, unsuccessful applicants are not notified on the outcome of their application.

It will not be possible to provide feedback to unsuccessful candidates at any level of the competition.

Some Cambridge and Oxford studentships are co-funded by specific colleges. The award may involve changing colleges from your initial preference. Please note that if you are offered a college-shared award that involves changing colleges, the offer is dependent on you agreeing to move colleges.

If you are offered a college-shared award, your acceptance will be taken as confirmation that you have agreed to change college. Following your acceptance, your home university will arrange for the necessary processes to be undertaken to confirm your change of college.

It is possible to change status (e.g. from full to part-time study) once during the studentship. We recognise that life circumstances may change during the research project, and try to support our doctoral researchers as far as possible.

No, but it may be available in individual cases where this would specifically benefit your research project.


Home UK settled (and equivalent) students are eligible for a full studentship: university fees plus a maintenance stipend set according to UKRI indicative level. The funding level changes on a yearly basis following inflation rate. Please visit the UKRI website for the most up-to-date figures.

EU students ordinarily resident in the EU /EEA are eligible for a "fees-only" award (university fees).

Non-UK European nationals can apply for funding through the universities’ other funding schemes as part of the application for admissions (funding section) through the applicant portals at Oxford and Cambridge.

The funding is exclusive in the sense that you cannot hold another studentship award offering fees and stipend at the same time. However you are not prevented from seeking other funding sources to support research or personal development activities; if these cover living expenses, your OOC DTP funding can be interrupted.

List of site pages